Zorro codes .NET

Monday, April 24, 2006

SQL Server Collation and Team Foundation

I'm not a guru when it comes to SQL Server Collation settings. I live in the Netherlands so there is no way i will ever need to sort on double width Japanese unicode characters. So when i need to set the collation of a team foundation server installation i do what the installation guide tells me......

Or do I?

So i read the following text in the guide about the collation setting:


The default choice is based on the setting for non-Unicode language in Windows Server 2003. The default for most languages is a Windows collation, however, for U.S. English, SQL Server 2005 installs with a SQL Server collation for backwards-compatibility. If you want to change the collation from the default to get support for additional U.S. English characters, consider Latin1_General.


Now naturaly, wanting the best for my team foundation installation, i want support for adition U.S. English characters. Because i don't need backwards compatibility.

Or do I?

Now after i worked through all the steps of the installation guide. Its time to install Team Foundation. I start the installation, and come to the system health check part. And it says I have a wrong collation setting.....

Lesson learned:

Leave the SQL Server Collation option default, even if the installation guide says you could choose another one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home